Assalamualaikum :)
Yesterday (15 January 2014) was a really good day for me. I had a patient for impaction, and he's someone whom I care about for the reason of him being so punctual, cooperative, and he doesnt talk unnecessarily. I was so excited the night before as I was going to do it under Dr Venkat's supervision and guidance. I had longed to do one impaction under him ever since I assisted Chen Wei.
My patient (Mr Iz) arrived at 10.15am as promised. Already told him to eat breakfast and brush his teeth before coming. I took around 15 minutes to get everything ready. We had to use the chair at the bay since the one inside the OT room was malfunctioned. When he sat on the dental chair, I administered the local anaesthesia. Sebenarnya aku nervous sampai aku terlupa nak bagi topical. Huk!
Dr Venkat gave me 2 options for the extension of the incision, either do it on the middle of the 2nd molar or extend it slightly anterior to include the interdental papilla between the 1st and 2nd molars. I opted for the 1st one since I wanted to try doing it under a smaller field and also because aku taknak suture at papilla.
Sebenarnya aku rasa smaller field mcm lagi senang because it's easier to manage. After that, I did my buccal guttering. It took only few minutes sebab aku dah power. HHAHAHAH. No lah. Kalau baca Dr Syamirul punya blog, he believes in OBSERVE, ASSIST, PERFORM. That was exactly what I did so it was quite easy bila dah tau how to go about it.
Then came the most fun part ; splitting the tooth. It was a distoangular impaction which is the toughest of all. Yang mana aku rasa mcm takboleh buat, I let Dr Venkat did it for me as I didnt want to jeopardize the patient and also because I wanted to minimize the time. After that, he helped me to elevate the tooth. When it started to become a bit loose or mobile, he got up and asked me to take my time in removing it.
Truth is, aku paling tak reti guna straight Coupland elevator sebab aku tak reti nak engage tang mana. Tried to do it according to his way but I failed. Then I managed to find my own application point and Pooop! The tooth just got elevated nicely. Ah! What a bless. Alhamdulillah.
Suturing was tough though. Iz bled mcm ayaq terjun and Dr Venkat said we might accidentally tercucuk one of the buccal arteries but he said itsokay. Just ask the pt to bite the gauze tightly for 5 minutes and he should be fine. Myra tried suturing but it was loose 2 times, and patient aku tu sebenarnya dah start sakit tapi dia tak berani cakap. Faham sangat dah. So I took over.
Masa aku bagi MC and prescription form, I saw Iz looking very tired and mata dia merah dah. Kesian pulak. I asked him to go back and rest, even asking him if he could drive in that condition. Hahahaha.
Oh ya, thanks to Myra and Yazid for being good assistants and runners and motivators :D
Later that afternoon, I had surgery practical. Basically we had to help the juniors but there were not many cases and some of my groupmates had one impaction case. So I spent my day talking crap with Dr Venkat.
Comel betul dia masa dia cakap dia dah tua and "I'm scared of getting old" sambil muka mencebik mcm kids. GILA COMEY WEYYY TAK TIPU ERGH.
Rupanya dia baru 34. We talked about coffee and he was surprised to know that I love Bru coffee. Said he would buy one for me "as an exchange of culture". Tah padia aku pon tatau. Bahasa dia macam-macam sangat. Layan kan je la selagi dia tengah dok sporting tu :S
The best part is he called me "little surgeon".
"Come here little surgeon. See this case and give your opinion."
"So what our little surgeon thinks?"
"Ask her. She is the little surgeon today"
Aku selalu rasa dia tak kenal aku pun. So it was quite a nice feeling not because I think I'm a that good, tapi sebab dia agak friendly haritu dengan aku to call me by that name. And aku kenal dia dari perspective yang lain. And I learnt a lot about impaction procedure.
Thankyou Allah :)
Yesterday (15 January 2014) was a really good day for me. I had a patient for impaction, and he's someone whom I care about for the reason of him being so punctual, cooperative, and he doesnt talk unnecessarily. I was so excited the night before as I was going to do it under Dr Venkat's supervision and guidance. I had longed to do one impaction under him ever since I assisted Chen Wei.
My patient (Mr Iz) arrived at 10.15am as promised. Already told him to eat breakfast and brush his teeth before coming. I took around 15 minutes to get everything ready. We had to use the chair at the bay since the one inside the OT room was malfunctioned. When he sat on the dental chair, I administered the local anaesthesia. Sebenarnya aku nervous sampai aku terlupa nak bagi topical. Huk!
Dr Venkat gave me 2 options for the extension of the incision, either do it on the middle of the 2nd molar or extend it slightly anterior to include the interdental papilla between the 1st and 2nd molars. I opted for the 1st one since I wanted to try doing it under a smaller field and also because aku taknak suture at papilla.
Sebenarnya aku rasa smaller field mcm lagi senang because it's easier to manage. After that, I did my buccal guttering. It took only few minutes sebab aku dah power. HHAHAHAH. No lah. Kalau baca Dr Syamirul punya blog, he believes in OBSERVE, ASSIST, PERFORM. That was exactly what I did so it was quite easy bila dah tau how to go about it.
Then came the most fun part ; splitting the tooth. It was a distoangular impaction which is the toughest of all. Yang mana aku rasa mcm takboleh buat, I let Dr Venkat did it for me as I didnt want to jeopardize the patient and also because I wanted to minimize the time. After that, he helped me to elevate the tooth. When it started to become a bit loose or mobile, he got up and asked me to take my time in removing it.
Truth is, aku paling tak reti guna straight Coupland elevator sebab aku tak reti nak engage tang mana. Tried to do it according to his way but I failed. Then I managed to find my own application point and Pooop! The tooth just got elevated nicely. Ah! What a bless. Alhamdulillah.
Suturing was tough though. Iz bled mcm ayaq terjun and Dr Venkat said we might accidentally tercucuk one of the buccal arteries but he said itsokay. Just ask the pt to bite the gauze tightly for 5 minutes and he should be fine. Myra tried suturing but it was loose 2 times, and patient aku tu sebenarnya dah start sakit tapi dia tak berani cakap. Faham sangat dah. So I took over.
Masa aku bagi MC and prescription form, I saw Iz looking very tired and mata dia merah dah. Kesian pulak. I asked him to go back and rest, even asking him if he could drive in that condition. Hahahaha.
Oh ya, thanks to Myra and Yazid for being good assistants and runners and motivators :D
Later that afternoon, I had surgery practical. Basically we had to help the juniors but there were not many cases and some of my groupmates had one impaction case. So I spent my day talking crap with Dr Venkat.
Comel betul dia masa dia cakap dia dah tua and "I'm scared of getting old" sambil muka mencebik mcm kids. GILA COMEY WEYYY TAK TIPU ERGH.
Rupanya dia baru 34. We talked about coffee and he was surprised to know that I love Bru coffee. Said he would buy one for me "as an exchange of culture". Tah padia aku pon tatau. Bahasa dia macam-macam sangat. Layan kan je la selagi dia tengah dok sporting tu :S
The best part is he called me "little surgeon".
"Come here little surgeon. See this case and give your opinion."
"So what our little surgeon thinks?"
"Ask her. She is the little surgeon today"
Aku selalu rasa dia tak kenal aku pun. So it was quite a nice feeling not because I think I'm a that good, tapi sebab dia agak friendly haritu dengan aku to call me by that name. And aku kenal dia dari perspective yang lain. And I learnt a lot about impaction procedure.
Thankyou Allah :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
hai!~